National Location Codes (NLCs) are six character codes (usually digits) which identify locations on the railway - including stations, sidings and booking offices. Some reference other entities, as described below.
They are used for retail purposes and do not play a part in train planning or running.
The first four digits reference a location, and the last two digits indicate sub-location. For example:
- 144400 is London Euston, with TIPLOC 'EUSTON', normally referenced in retail systems as 1444
- 144401 is the Backing Out Roads, TIPLOC 'EUSBOR'
- 144431 is WC Euston Ticket Collectors, with no associated TIPLOC, possibly used - or formerly used - for accounting purposes for Revenue Control staff based at Euston
Other entities at the same location may have a completely different NLC, for example 105800 (or 1058) is Euston Local Tickets - the smaller ticket office by platforms 8-11 at Euston. This was formerly a Network SouthEast ticket office, and may have been allocated its own NLC to disassociate itself with the main station.
The first digit of the NLC indicates the location:
- 0 indicates a 'group' station, a pseudo-destination, a London Underground station, or one of the London Fares Zones
- 1-9 indicates a National Rail station, including self-service ticket machines
- G, H, J, K and L are usually Private Settlement locations, such as PlusBus destinations, or add-ons to existing tickets
- I are usually used for accountancy purposes
- M and N are usually Irish stations
|Network Rail Open Data Feeds|
|Data Feeds||About the Feeds • Account States • Durable Subscriptions • Example Code ( PHP / C# / Java / Ruby / Node.js) • Advanced Uses • FAQ • Release Notes|
|Train Movements||Train Movements Feed • Train Activation • Train Cancellation • Train Movement • Train Reinstatement • Change of Origin • Change of Identity • Change of Location • TSPEED Field • Planned Cancellations • Cancellation Codes|
|TD||TD Feed • C-Class Messages • S-Class Messages • Train Describers • TD Berths|
|TSR||TSR Feed • Route Codes|
|SCHEDULE||SCHEDULE Feed • Schedule and Location Records • Association Records • CIF Codes • How Scheduling Works • Allowances|
|Reference Data||Reference Data Feed • TOC Codes • CIF Codes • Delay Attribution Codes • Identifying Locations (STANOX, TIPLOC, NLC and 3-Alpha Codes) • STANOX Geographical Areas • Train Planning data|